Police investigating death in St. Johnsbury

3 mins read

ST. JOHNSBURY — Police are investigating the death of a 32-year-old man on Monday morning in St. Johnsbury.

The death of Joshua Dovholuk of Lincoln, New Hampshire, occurred shortly after his release from the custody of the Department of Corrections and following several interactions with law enforcement during the preceding day.

Law enforcement says they made contact with Dovholuk at about 1:50 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 30, when state troopers were dispatched to a single-vehicle crash on S. Wheelock Road in Lyndon.

Responding troopers located Dovholuk apparently uninjured near a vehicle on its side.

He was evaluated by EMS first responders and released at the scene.

The vehicle was towed, and troopers provided Dovholuk a ride to a nearby convenience store so he could use the phone and wait for assistance at a safe location.

Several hours later, at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday, members of the St. Johnsbury Police Department had an interaction with Dovholuk in St. Johnsbury during which he appeared to be impaired due to an unknown cause.

He received an evaluation by Northeast Kingdom Human Services and was authorized to be brought to detox at the Northeast Correctional Complex in St. Johnsbury.

He was screened at Northeast Vermont Regional Hospital before being brought to the correctional complex and was cleared medically for detox.

Dovholuk was taken into Department of Corrections custody for detox at about 9:10 p.m. Sunday and was released at about 6:30 a.m. the following day.

Several minutes later, a Department of Corrections staff member located Dovholuk in apparent medical distress in the parking lot of the correctional complex and called 911.

A CALEX ambulance transported him to Northeast Vermont Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

State police say they were notified of Dovholuk’s death at 8:12 a.m. and began an investigation.

According to police, Dovholuk suffered from a significant pre-existing medical condition and had not been following his treatment plan.

“The death does not appear to be suspicious or connected to his interactions with law enforcement or the Department of Corrections,” a statement issued by VSP reads.

Police say Dovholuk was cooperative in all his interactions with police and the Department of Corrections, and at no time did police or DOC staff use force.

Dovholuk’s body was brought to the Vermont Chief Medical Examiner’s Office in Burlington for an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of death.

The results of the autopsy are pending toxicology testing, which can take several weeks.