Electric clothes dryer likely caused fatal fire in North Hero

1 min read

NORTH HERO — Authorities say an electric clothes dryer likely caused the fatal fire in North Hero on Saturday.

Investigators believe the fire began due to an issue with the electric clothes dryer and vent system, which had been in use an hour prior to the fire.

“The area of origin of the blaze was the laundry room, specifically the area of the dryer, and the cause is accidental,” Detective Trooper Michael Mattuchio said in a release.

The home was equipped with smoke detectors, and first responders reported hearing the alarms when they arrived on the scene.

The victims of Saturday’s tragic fire in North Hero have been identified as 5-year-old Theodore Maltais and his brother, Nathaniel Maltais, age 11 1/2 months.

The homeowners are identified as Desiree and Mason Maltais, both age 30, of North Hero.

A 911 call was received at 1:08 a.m. reporting the fire at the single-family home on Bridge Road.