Fire damages Georgia home

1 min read

GEORGIA — A fire broke out in Georgia early yesterday morning.

The Georgia Fire Department was dispatched to a call on Fontaine Drive at around 6:30 a.m.

Firefighters say they found heavy smoke coming from the ground floor entrance door, and were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

Investigators say the homeowner discovered the fire while getting ready for work.

He tried to extinguish the fire himself but was unable to do so, managing to get himself and his dog out of the house safely.

The origin of the fire was determined to be in the first-floor living room where a direct vent oil fired heater had been installed.

The cause of the fire is classified as accidental, and no injuries were reported.

The home sustained substantial smoke damage but was not destroyed.

The Red Cross says they will be assisting the displaced tenants.