Fire destroys home in Swanton

2 mins read

SWANTON — A home and garage are considered a total loss after a fire in Swanton over the weekend.

The fire broke out at 50 Lord Road at around 11:28 a.m. on Saturday.

The Swanton Fire Fighters arrived on scene within 12 minutes and began fighting the blaze, police say.

Kayleigh Yandow, 34, of Swanton, told police that she noticed fire coming from a detached garage/storage shed located about 25 feet west of the home.

At the time, 20 mile-per-hour winds were blowing the flames towards the house.

Police say the side of the house closest to the garage had caught fire when they arrived.

A large barn to the southwest of the garage also began to burn, but firefighters were able to extinguish the flames and save the barn.

The fire spread to the interior of the house rapidly and although firefighters were successful in extinguishing the flames, the damage to the two-story home from soot, smoke, water, and fire was extensive.

Police say the detached shed/garage burned to the ground and there was nothing left of the wood-frame structure.

The garage/shed was supplied with electricity from the house, but according to the occupants it was not working properly and none of the outlets/lights functioned.

The origin of the fire was determined to have started at the interior of the detached garage.

Police say nobody was injured in the blaze and the garage is a total loss.

The house, although still standing, is also considered a total loss.

Anyone having any information regarding this fire is asked to please contact Det. Sgt. Todd Ambroz of the State Police at the St. Albans Barracks at 802-524-5993.