Fire in Highgate destroys home, kills 2 dogs

1 min read

HIGHGATE — A house fire broke out in Highgate this morning, killing two animals.

The Highgate Fire Department was dispatched to Saint Armand Road at around 10:20 a.m.

Police were the first to arrive on the scene and say they discovered heavy fire coming from the front door of the home and heavy smoke coming from an upstairs window.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire with the assistance of several area fire departments.

Fire investigators say the fire began in the living room of the home and was most likely caused by the chimney from the woodstove.

There were no injuries reported, however, two of the family’s dogs died.

The home is considered a total loss.