MORETOWN — A fire broke out on Moretown Mountain Road early this morning.
The fire took place in a garage shop with an apartment on the second floor.
The homeowner noticed fire coming from the rear of the garage at around 4:50 a.m.
When the fire department arrived, the garage was heavily involved in fire.
The fire department was able to contain the fire to the garage.
The building was destroyed as well as three cars that were stored inside.
Investigators say the fire started in the furnace room where an oil-fired furnace heat exchanger failed, allowing the fire from the oil burner to burn through the back of the furnace and light the back wall on fire.
The apartment was not occupied at the time of the fire and there were no injuries, police say.